I keep looking at these cupcakes and giggling to myself. These cupcakes were primarily inspired by a very silly joke meme/trend, and fortunately ended up tasting reasonably good. I used this recipe for the cupcakes themselves, and because I didn’t have enough cream cheese to follow the frosting recipe, I used this frosting recipe instead.
- Preheat oven to 350F and line cupcake pans.
- Mix dry ingredients: 2 3/4 cups flour, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Beat together 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened, and 2 cups sugar. Beat in 2 tsp vanilla and 4 eggs.
- Alternate adding in 1/3 of the flour mixture, then 1/2 cup buttermilk, then more flour, then buttermilk, then the last of the flour, mixing until completely incorporated but not too long.
- Spoon batter into muffin pans and bake 20-25 minutes (mine took 25). Cool in pan for at least 15 minutes before removing to rack.
- Beat 4 sticks unsalted butter until creamy.
- Gradually add in 6 cups (!) powdered sugar, sifted.
- Mix in 1 tsp vanilla extract and a pinch of salt.
And that’s about it! I frosted the cupcakes with a base layer of white frosting first, then split the remaining frosting in half to add the different food colors to each. I just eyeballed the colors, I was hoping for a darker blue, but this was with quite a few drops and it was about as blue as it got.
- The cupcake recipe is excellent. These are nice, fluffy, tasty cupcakes. Definitely more special than cake mix cupcakes.
- Because of my various issues with my oven, I kept a really close eye on how they were cooking. I was using 2 different pans and rotated them halfway through. I set the timer for 25 minutes exactly and was ready to keep going, but they seemed good to go at 25.
- The frosting recipe was a good consistency for what I was trying to do with it. I can’t say I absolutely love sugar/butter frosting, but it’s a good version of what it is.
- Well, considering this was a joke recipe, I doubt I would repeat exactly. But I think I would quite happily use the cupcake recipe as is.
- I would love to get one of those cupcake scoops to help ensure evenness. Some of my cupcakes were much larger than others so they were of varying doneness.
- Like I said above, the frosting was fine, just not totally to my taste. I prefer cream cheese frosting. I’d also love to play with meringue frostings at some point.
- I’m still a beginner with frosting so I know they aren’t perfect, I feel like this is just the kind of thing that takes practice!