This month, I baked 9 things! (Technically, I baked 10, but the black forest cherry cake came before I started this blog, and to be totally fair, my husband basically did almost all the work, so I didn’t log it here.)
- Gingersnaps and mini lemon cheesecakes
- Double chocolate chip muffins
- Blueberry and cream cheese muffin top bread
- Cranberry oat muffins
- I remade: Blueberry cream cheese muffin loaf
- Banana buttermilk muffins
- Tide pod vanilla buttermilk cupcakes
Out of the nine, I think several of these came out really well and I would remake again, with few to no tweaks. The only one that I think was a real dud was the cranberry oat muffin, which was too bland to be a dessert and too sweet to be a healthy breakfast.
If I absolutely had to pick a favorite, I suppose it would be… the blueberry and cream cheese muffin top bread. It was so fiddly and I thought I messed it up! But then re-baking it revealed, it’s just a messy recipe, and it tastes amazing anyway. I would make this again for almost any occasion: to take to a party, to give away to friends, or just to eat at home standing at the counter until I realize I’ve accidentally finished the whole thing.
I also really enjoyed the brownies and double chocolate chip muffins.
New things I tried this month included:
- Decorating with colored frosting!
- Baking something savory!
- Making a layered flaky dough!
- Using a lot of buttermilk!
- Rolling a cookie dough into a LOG, freezing it, and cutting off rounds!
- Greasing/flouring muffin tins instead of using paper liners!
- Finally using the sifter we got from our wedding registry!
Out of my baking resolutions, I have made progress in several areas. I attempted to work on decorating skills with tide pod cupcakes. I kept GREAT records, visual and written, through this blog. I baked an average of twice a week, well over my goal. I tried to go outside of my comfort zone with the biscuits and tide pod cupcakes. And I re-baked once to improve technique. (I learned a LOT from this, actually.)
I did not bake any cakes nor did I do any experimenting with yeast or bread, so those remain two areas to continue working on in the future.
In February, I would really like to explore:
- baking with Nutella
- using coffee flavoring in desserts
- having FUN with baking!!!