One of the best things about posting pictures of stuff you bake on social media is that on your birthday, people give you cookbooks! I basically doubled my cookbook library last month (it was not large to begin with haha). Anyway, one of the books was a cupcake specific cookbook. It has lots of fun ideas in it and this chili chocolate concept seemed promising.
I don’t have the recipe on me right now, but basically it was a simple chocolate cake recipe with added chili powder and cayenne pepper. Then the frosting recipe was a chocolate buttercream with cinnamon. (I’ll try and update with full details when I get back home to the cookbook.)
- My husband and father in law REALLY loved these. I was unsure how I felt about them at first, but by the second day I decided I also liked them a lot.
- Kudos to my husband for the idea of sprinkling with red sugar.
- They make a really dense, almost brownie-like cake.
- Either I’m getting better at judging how much batter to pour, or these cupcakes just don’t rise as much as others (maybe both). I didn’t have the messy problem that I often have with cupcakes overflowing during the bake.
- Check out that crackle.
- Make a little bit more frosting than recommended, or don’t be quite so generous – I ran out of frosting and had to leave three cupcakes naked.
- Try mini cupcakes maybe?
- Honestly this was a really solid recipe, doesn’t need a ton of tweaks.